Cannot log into cyrus using IMAP

Eric B. ebenze at hotmail.com
Mon May 10 15:50:46 EDT 2004

Thanks Andreas.  Your explanations were definitely helpful, but
unforunately, I am still having troubles....  I have a feeling the
cyrus-imapd wasn't compiled with the correct flags, but I can't tell what is
missing.  I have detailed more (including a log snippet) below.

> The Cyrus-SASL-Library uses the auxprop-plugin sasldb and this one does
the
> handling of /etc/sasldb2.

Do I have to specify the sasldb on the auxprop-plug line of the
/etc/imapd.conf file?

> > Indeed I have a libsql.so* in my /usr/lib/sasl2 directory.  (defined as
my
> > plugin directory).  I've read through the options.html document, but am
not
> > sure where i need to specify the sql-auxprop-plugin.  Does that go in
the
> > /usr/lib/sasl2/smptd.conf file?  in a /usr/lib/sasl2/imapd.conf file?
How
> > exactly should it go in?  is my conf file just the following:
>
> Depends on the Applicatio which you want to configure. Cyrus Imap uses
/etc/
> imapd.conf, Postfix $plugindir/smtpd.conf. Cyrus-Imapd uses "sasl_" as
Prefix
> for all sasl-options.

Ok - I think I'm starting to understand a little better now.  Thanks for the
explanations.  But I'm still running into some problems.  Hopefully you
might be able to shed a little more light for me.

Originally, I just had /usr/lib/sasl2/libsql.a library installed in the
plugin directory.  Once I added  /usr/lib/sasl2/libsql.la, .so*, I get a
bunch of error msgs when starting cyrus-imapd that SQL engine 'mysql' is not
supported:

>From /var/log/auth.log:
May 10 15:05:35 linuxmail saslauthd[2496]: ipc_init        : listening on
socket: /var/run/saslauthd/mux
May 10 15:05:35 linuxmail imap[2508]: SQL engine 'mysql' not supported
May 10 15:05:35 linuxmail imap[2508]: auxpropfunc error no mechanism
available
May 10 15:05:35 linuxmail imap[2508]: _sasl_plugin_load failed on
sasl_auxprop_plug_init for plugin: sql
May 10 15:05:35 linuxmail lmtpunix[2512]: SQL engine 'mysql' not supported
May 10 15:05:35 linuxmail pop3[2510]: SQL engine 'mysql' not supported
May 10 15:05:36 linuxmail imaps[2509]: SQL engine 'mysql' not supported
May 10 15:05:36 linuxmail lmtpunix[2512]: auxpropfunc error no mechanism
available
May 10 15:05:36 linuxmail pop3[2510]: auxpropfunc error no mechanism
available
May 10 15:05:36 linuxmail imaps[2509]: auxpropfunc error no mechanism
available
May 10 15:05:36 linuxmail pop3s[2511]: SQL engine 'mysql' not supported
May 10 15:05:36 linuxmail lmtpunix[2512]: _sasl_plugin_load failed on
sasl_auxprop_plug_init for plugin: sql
May 10 15:05:36 linuxmail pop3[2510]: _sasl_plugin_load failed on
sasl_auxprop_plug_init for plugin: sql
May 10 15:05:36 linuxmail imaps[2509]: _sasl_plugin_load failed on
sasl_auxprop_plug_init for plugin: sql
May 10 15:05:36 linuxmail pop3s[2511]: auxpropfunc error no mechanism
available
May 10 15:05:36 linuxmail pop3s[2511]: _sasl_plugin_load failed on
sasl_auxprop_plug_init for plugin: sql

Now, I am sure I compiled Cyrus-SASL with the --enable-sql flag, so I'm
assuming that's what generated the libsql* files.  However, I didn't see the
same flag available for the Cyrus-Imapd pkg.  Did I overlook something in
the configuration docs?  I've read thru the docs and even the
configure --help options and don't see anything anywhere relating to mysql.
Is there an extra flag that it needs to be compiled with as well?  I
compiled with:
  --enable-netscapehack \
  --enable-listext\
  --enable-murder\
  --enable-nntp\
  --without-ucdsnmp\
and with a bunch of paths specified.
ie: --with-perl  --with-libwrap=  --with-cyrus-prefix=  --with-service-path=
  --with-auth=unix  --with-bdb-incdir=     --with-extraident= --with-syslogf
acility= --with-libd=)

 Am I missing something here?

> > If I change the pwcheck_method to auxprop, does that mean it no longer
uses
> > saslauthd?  Is there anyway to use saslauthd with non-encrypted p/ws?
> > Where does saslauthd retrieve its username/passwd information from?
>
> a.) Yes. Or you set:
> pwcheck_method: auxprop saslauthd
> Then both will be used.

I assume it will just use each authentication method in order until it
succeeds?  What if a user name with a different p/w is found using the first
authen method, does it fail at that point, or continue until all
possiblities have been exhausted?

I guess the last point that I am quite confuse here is why I am being
prompted for a password twice when I try to login with cyradm.  The first
one is the "password" and the second is the "IMAP password".  From what I
can tell, the "IMAP password" is successfully validated against the mysql
DB, but it is the first "password" prompt that is failing, and therefore not
allowing my access.   What is that first password challenge verifying
against?  From what I can tell, it is the first challenge that is producing
the "perl: No worthy mechs found".

Thanks again for the help!  I can definitely feel that I am getting closer
to the final solution!

Eric