Sivtest authentication failed generic failure

Igor Brezac igor at ipass.net
Mon May 10 12:42:42 EDT 2004

On Mon, 10 May 2004, Nicolas Schmitz wrote:

> Hello,
> I'm having trouble to authenticate with sivtest... Imap/pop are OK, they
> use sasl (mech: ldap).
> I use cyrus-sasl 2.1.18 and cyrus-imap 2.2.3 on a debian woody.
>
> Can anybody help ? I'm really confused, everything works fine, except
> sieve...
>
> Here is the output :
>

> pc-schmitz-vm:~# /appli/cyrus-imapd/bin/sivtest -a schmitz localhost
> S: "IMPLEMENTATION" "Cyrus timsieved v2.2.3"
> S: "SIEVE" "fileinto reject envelope vacation imapflags notify
> subaddress relational regex"
> S: "STARTTLS"
> S: OK
> Authentication failed. generic failure
> Security strength factor: 0

timsieved is not advertising any auth mechs.  It looks like sasl is not
installed properly.

> Whereas imtest works great :
>
> pc-schmitz-vm:/appli/distrib# /appli/cyrus-imapd/bin/imtest -a schmitz
> localhost
> S: * OK pc-schmitz-vm.ec-nantes.fr Cyrus IMAP4 v2.2.3 server ready
> C: C01 CAPABILITY
> S: * CAPABILITY IMAP4 IMAP4rev1 ACL QUOTA LITERAL+ MAILBOX-REFERRALS
> NAMESPACE UIDPLUS ID NO_ATOMIC_RENAME UNSELECT CHILDREN MULTIAPPEND
> BINARY SORT THREAD=ORDEREDSUBJECT THREAD=REFERENCES ANNOTATEMORE IDLE
> STARTTLS
> S: C01 OK Completed
> Please enter your password:
> C: L01 LOGIN schmitz {12}
> S: + go ahead
> C: <omitted>
> S: L01 OK User logged in
> Authenticated.
> Security strength factor: 0

This works because you use imap built-in login mech.

> CYRUS-SASL
>
> export CPPFLAGS=-I/appli/BerkeleyDB/include
> export LDFLAGS=-L/appli/BerkeleyDB/lib/
>
> <>./configure \
> --prefix=/appli/cyrus-sasl \
> --with-ldap=/appli/openldap/ \
> --enable-anon \
> --enable-plain \
> --enable-login \
> --disable-krb4 \
> --disable-otp \
> --disable-cram \
> --disable-digest \
> --with-saslauthd=/var/run/saslauthd \
> --with-dblib=berkeley \
> --with-bdb-libdir=/appli/BerkeleyDB/lib/ \
> --with-bdb-incdir=/appli/BerkeleyDB/include \
> --with-openssl=/usr/include/openssl/

Try to recompile sasl with --with-plugindir=/your/path/to/sasl/plugins

or

do  ( cd /usr/lib && ln -s /appli/cyrus-sasl/lib/sasl2 )

Hope this helps.

--
Igor