Sivtest authentication failed generic failure

Igor Brezac igor at ipass.net
Tue May 11 09:47:22 EDT 2004

On Tue, 11 May 2004, Nicolas Schmitz wrote:

> Hello,
>

> >This tests saslauthd only.  You need to use sample client and server
> >($cyrus-sasl-src/sample) to test sasl lib.
> >

> here is the output :
> SERVER :
> pc-schmitz-vm:/appli/distrib/cyrus-sasl-2.1.18/sample# ./server -s ldap
> trying 10, 1, 6
> socket: Address family not supported by protocol
> trying 2, 1, 6
>
> CLIENT :
> pc-schmitz-vm:/appli/distrib/cyrus-sasl-2.1.18/sample# ./client -s ldap
> localhost
> receiving capability list... recv: {0}
>
> starting SASL negotiation: no mechanism available
> SASL(-4): no mechanism available: No worthy mechs found
> closing connection

I believe your sasl installation is broken because no mechs are presented
in the capability list.  Check your syslog for errors.

> It I do : ./client -s ldap -m ldap localhost, I get :
> receiving capability list... recv: {0}
>

> server doesn't offer mandatory mech 'ldap'
> closing connection

ldap is not a valid mechanism.

> I don't know how tu use sample client/server... Maybe it's not the
> correct argument ?
>

> I don't understand why sasl works great with cyrus-imap, and not with
> sieve...

Like I said earlier, it really does not because you are using imap
built-in login mechanism.  Sure, libsasl2 is used to verify the password
via saslauthd, but you are not using any of the sasl authentication
mechanisms which are needed by timsieved.

I suggest you learn how sasl works first.  Download cyrus sasl
(ftp://ftp.andrew.cmu.edu/pub/cyrus-mail/cyrus-sasl-2.1.18.tar.gz) and
read documentation in the 'doc' directory.

> Here is my imapd.conf :
> sasl_pwcheck_method: saslauthd
> allowanonymouslogin: no
> allowplaintext: yes
> sasl_mech_list: ldap
                  ^^^^
This is not a valid mechanism.  You can use plain and/or login with
saslauthd pwcheck_method.

--
Igor