using sieve to inform users of a new address

ali asad lotia lotia at umich.edu
Thu May 13 09:35:44 EDT 2004

sorry i am not at all familiar with sieve, i have read the rfc and the
white paper, but would benefit greatly from the expertise of the folks
in the list

> Add ':addresses "old email address without domain" option to vacation.
with the line above, for a user foo at bar.com who is migrating to
foo at baz.net would the script be:
require "vacation";
         if header :contains ["To", "Cc", "Bcc"] "foo at bar.com"
         { vacation :addresses "foo"  "Please note, my new email address
is foo at baz.net.
                 Please send email to this address in the future.";
         }

wouldnt this send out email to all users instead of just those who send
mail to the old address? or does it only function based if the header
test is passed?
or would this be the script:

         { vacation :addresses "foo at bar.com"  "Please note, my new email
address is foo at baz.net.
                 Please send email to this address in the future.";
         }

thanks
ali
On May 13, 2004, at 7:33 AM, Ken Murchison wrote:

> ali asad lotia wrote:
>
>> hello folks
>> i was wondering if it is possible to write a sieve script that sends
>> mail to the address contained in the from header based on the
>> information in the to header.
>> i am transitioning someone over to a new email account and so am
>> forwarding all mail sent to her old address to this new address. i
>> would like to send out a message to anyone sending mail to the old
>> address that informs them of the new address. i used the following
>> sieve script for that:
>> require "vacation";
>>         if header :contains "to" "enter old email address"
>>         { vacation "Please note, my new email address is
>> NEW-EMAIL-ADDRESS.
>>                 Please send email to this address in the future. ";
>>         }
>> it does not seem to send out email as i would like. any tips.
>
> Add ':addresses "old email address without domain" option to vacation.
>
> --
> Kenneth Murchison     Oceana Matrix Ltd.
> Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
> 716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127
> --PGP Public Key--    http://www.oceana.com/~ken/ksm.pgp
>
> ---
>

> !DSPAM:40a360282266054305319!

--------
The difference between a Dell desktop and an Apple PowerBook is
like that between a Kenmore washer and a Fender Stratocaster.
- Doc Searls (http://www.linuxjournal.com//article.php?sid=7464)