accents in mailbox names

Tero Matinlassi tero.matinlassi at edu.vantaa.fi
Wed May 26 01:43:28 EDT 2004

Lainaus Etienne Goyer <etienne.goyer at linuxquebec.com>:

> Antoine Jacoutot wrote:
> > On Friday 14 May 2004 20:10, Etienne Goyer wrote:
> >
> >>Which Horde/IMP version ?  I don't know about the stable branch,
> but
> >>HEAD and the latest ALPHA can with no problem.
> >

> > horde-2.2.4
> > imp-3.2.2
>
> Then it has been fixed in the CVS.

This is quite offtopic here and an old message, but I though sharing
this. People who want to discuss this further should take this to the
appropriate mailing list.

Horde/IMP gets it right with the stable version also. What can go wrong
is PHP. The conversion of mailbox names in IMP is handled at
IMP::utf7Encode() (located at lib/IMP.php). It first tries to use iconv
and if that isn't available, mbstring, and as a last resort, PHP's
imap_utf7_encode(). I don't know if PHP has been fixed yet, but
imap_utf7_encode() didn't work right here (with PHP versions like 4.3.4
and earlier).

I happened to notice this while I was doing a migration from UW-IMAP to
Cyrus. UW-IMAP didn't really care about mailbox names and since
imap_utf7_encode() and imap_utf7_decode() still worked consistently as
a pair (it would decode right the wrongly encoded string), this went
without a notice when using Horde/IMP (and most of our users use
webmail, I don't know if there were any problems with users using the
webmail and some other mail client). Transferring these mailboxes to
Cyrus didn't work back then, so I wrote a little PHP script to convert
all mailboxes to correct encoding before that. As a side note, iconv
conversion didn't work here, but mbstring did it fine.

-Tero

--
Tero Matinlassi