idled thoughts

+archive.info-cyrus at utdallas.edu +archive.info-cyrus at utdallas.edu
Tue May 18 14:50:42 EDT 2004

On Tue, 18 May 2004, Andreas wrote:

> Is it useful? Does it use too much resources? Is it not used that much,
> and as such not well tested?

Haven't really noticed it taking up too much resources myself.

In terms of it being useful, rather informal trial and error
experimentation here seemed to indicate that the Microsoft clients
were much happier with it enabled. Not sure if that was the ultimate
fix, but these particular individuals are no longer having problems,
so that's good enough for me! ;)

> I see that thunderbird 0.6 can use the IDLE extension and I like the idea
> of the server notifying the client whenever there is new mail. Using the

I haven't tried it in a while, but previously when I told TBird to
check for new mail in a bunch of folders and had IDLE enabled, things
seemed to get really wacky. (Number of new messages would be bogus,
some folders tagged as having new mail when they didn't, etc.) So in
the end I just turned off the IDLE support in TBird. That was a while
ago, though, so I don't know if that has improved.

Amos