cyradm timeout?

Andrew J Caird andrew.caird at fccc.edu
Thu May 20 12:28:43 EDT 2004

On Wed, 19 May 2004, Bret Hammond wrote:
> On Wed, 19 May 2004, Andrew J Caird wrote:
>
> > I'm installing Cyrus v2.2.3 on Solaris 9 and I've been through the
> > weirdness with imclient.a (see
> > http://asg.web.cmu.edu/archive/message.php?mailbox=archive.info-cyrus&searchterm=imclient&msg=28484)
> > and now I can connect to Cyrus IMAP servers (is there a better
> > solution to this?).  However, in my only test so far: connecting to a
> > Cyrus v2.1.15 server, cyradm appears to timeout after about 5 seconds.
> >
> > Is this normal?  I couldn't find any configuration options in either
> > the cyradm client (Cyrus/IMAP/Shell.pm) or in the server
> > configuration.  It doesn't matter if I type commands or not, it
> > appears to be about a 5 second timeout and the server logs it as a
> > "normal" disconnect.
>
> Andrew,
>
> You might consider grabbing the 2.2.4 code (released yesterday),
> as it seems to have fixed the imclient problem along with some other
> issues.  We are testing Cyrus v2.2.4 on Solaris 9, and noticed a problem
> with cyradm related to the getaddrinfo that comes with the SMCperl pkg.
> After removing the perl package, and recompiling perl from source our
> problems with cyradm went away.  We're able to use cyradm to connect to
> both a 2.2.4 and 2.0.12 server.

Bret,
  Thanks for the tip about SMCperl - compiling my own perl seems to have
fixed the problem with imclient and not being able to connect to any
servers, and there was no need to patch imclient.c.  Too bad about
SMCperl, that's a lot handier than compiling perl from source.
  The problem with the mysterious "5 second timeout" ("truss -d" showed it
to be exactly 5 seconds) seems to have been shell related.  Running it
under tcsh seemed to fix it, although I (unscientifically) changed a few
things at once (edited cyradm and removed the space in the #!/bin/sh
line between "#" and "/", started a tcsh from my bash shell, then exited
back to bash), and now can't get back to the old behavior.
  I hope these notes help someone else.
--
Andrew Caird