Tuning /proc/sys on Linux for Cyrus

Sebastian Hagedorn Hagedorn at uni-koeln.de
Tue May 25 07:44:09 EDT 2004

Hi,

I wonder if there is common wisdom on this list about how to tune the
values in /proc/sys under Linux for a large Cyrus installation. We run RH
AS 2.1 on a pair of servers that have 8 GB of RAM built-in. For almost two
years we have struggeled with problems caused by the bad cache management
of 32-bit Linux 2.4 on large memory machines. We have now reduced the
memory of the machines to 2 GB, which has improved matters to some degree.

Now RH support has recommended tuning /proc/sys/vm/pagecache and possibly
other parameters. Does anybody have experience tuning these values for
Cyrus? I'd be glad for any hints regarding this.

Thanks, Sebastian Hagedorn
--
Sebastian Hagedorn M.A. - RZKR-R1 (Gebäude 52), Zimmer 18
Zentrum für angewandte Informatik - Universitätsweiter Service RRZK