cyrus hanging (possible saslauthd problem)

Colin Bruce ccx004 at coventry.ac.uk
Thu May 27 12:11:59 EDT 2004

>>    May 26 20:31:29 imap2 saslauthd[6296]: do_auth : auth failure:
>> [user=tellingj] [service=imap] [realm=] [mech=shadow] [reason=Unknown]
>>
>> This happens even when the password that was typed in was correct.
>
>Can you run an strace on saslauthd and perhaps find out why it might be
>feeling ill occasionally?
>
>I do know that on Solaris with unix sockets it can behave like this, but
>I've never seen it on Linux.
>
>Is it possible there is some sort of intermittant hardware problem on the
>machine?

Dear Rob,

It could be a problem with hardware but it is brand new and works all day
when we have lots of people using it. It seems to fail at night when few
people are using it.

The thing is, if 10 people login most of them succeed but one or two would
get a connection where the inbox never loads. If they try a few minutes
later their inbox does load. There doesn't appear to be a pattern to it.

I am not sure how we can run strace on saslauthd. Obviously I can do that
now but that will just show saslauthd running correctly. We would have to be
very lucky to get it to fail just as we run strace; or have I missed
something.

Best wishes....
Colin