Cyrus dies

Colin Bruce ccx004 at coventry.ac.uk
Thu May 27 11:50:50 EDT 2004

Dear Michael and Rob

Sorry I should have said what the hardware is.

We are running Cyrus on an IBM X345 with dual 3GHz processors, 8GB of memory,
dual Gigabit network cards and 6 ultra 320 73GB SCSI disks which are not in a
RAID configuration of any kind. I'm afraid there are no IDE drives in the
machine.

I've checked the cron tables and there are no cron jobs running at the time
this happens. Unfortunately it isn't possible to run anything when it happens
because the machine is totally locked. It doesn't even respond to me
pressing the enter key on the console. I can try running top beforehand
and hopefully when it happens it will show something but I think it will
stop displaying.

The last time master was started was May 17 at 18:36:53. What events could
it be running? I know there are some mentioned in the config files but are
there any that are hard coded that might be running?

I had a look at the logfiles afterwards last night and everything stops.
There are no entries in the log files between 9:17PM and 9:35PM. Afterwards
everything returns to normal.

Best wishes......
Colin