Outlook client connection problems

Josh Endries jendries at pragmeta.com
Thu May 27 12:03:38 EDT 2004

Hello,

I have read a lot of information about Outlook clients and IDLE and
connections timing out. I have a number of Outlook users (I think
Outlook 2003 actually) that use IMAP and they were having problems
"connecting" to the server after letting Outlook sit alone for a
while, which sounded like the IDLE problem. I recompiled --with-idled
and enabled it in cyrus.conf, but the problem still exists.

The end-user sees an error saying the client couldn't connect to the
IMAP server when they check their email. If they check the email
immediately after discarding the error message, everything works
perfectly, which smells like the idle problem to me. Anyway, idled
has used up CPU time so it looks like it's working, but this error
suggests it isn't. I use Linux at work/home and actually don't own
Windows so it isn't easy for me to test (I keep bugging co-workers
:)). I can't find any errors in the log when this happens, and really
I don't see anything at all, as if it doesn't even try to connect. I
don't need to do anything else to "turn on" support for IDLE do I? Or
maybe there is something to change in Outlook...

The other possible factor is SSL, most (if not all) of these users
are connecting using imaps (not imap+tls, but the alternate port
method -- wrapped?). Maybe there is a timeout problem with the SSL
connection?

Anyone know how I could further troubleshoot this? Is there a way to
see which users are using idled at a given time?

freebsd 4, imapd 2.2, sasl 2.1, bdb 4.2, sql auth, virtdomains: yes

Thanks,

Josh