Spaces and IMAP searching with Cyrus

Rob Siemborski rjs3 at andrew.cmu.edu
Fri May 28 15:02:24 EDT 2004

On Fri, 28 May 2004, Ted Cabeen wrote:

>> No, it is not possible without changing the code.  In many cases, its
>> better to give too many search results than too few.
>
> How substantial of a code change would it be?  I might be up for
> writing a patch if it didn't require widespread changes to the caching
> and database systems, which is probably over my head.

It requires widespread changes to how string canonicalization is done.  It
also requires the more substantial work of back-converting all of the
on-disk data that is served by cyrus (i.e. regenerating all the cache
files during an upgrade, which is more than a little obnoxious, especially
for large sites) or dealing with this problem in another way.

>> Of course, were are fast approaching the day where the search and sort
>> comparitors will require that we do stringprep on all the strings, and
>> that day will be very sad.
>
> When that day comes, will this no longer be a problem?  How long is
> "fast approaching"?

It really depends on when we get development cycles for it really.
However, the drafts to which I refer are being worked on in the IETF
IMAPEXT working group at the moment.