disaster recover tips (repost - forgot the subject line)

Robin M. robin at primus.ca
Wed Mar 10 20:42:36 EST 2004

Hi I am deploying a cyrus server for my second time. The first time was
great. This time I wanted to learn more about disaster recovery.

I am using the simon matter rpm 2.2.3-8 confugured with virtdomain:
support.

As a test I deleted the cyrus.* files from a mailbox
I thought that I may be able to run
su -l cyrus "/usr/lib/recontruct -r -f"
but this did not rebuild the cyrus.* files and the mailbox was considered
corrupt. After copying the cyrus.* files from another directory and
running the recontruct command, everything worked fine.

I have googled and read the docs but have not seen much docs regarding
this and other types of disaster recovery. Does anyone know of any good
tutorials or docs with disaster scenarios ?

the following run as user cyrus....

<snip>
-bash-2.05b$ pwd
/var/spool/imap/domain/d/draftmail.org/r/user/robin
-bash-2.05b$ /usr/lib/cyrus-imapd/reconstruct -f -r
draftmail.org!user.robin: Mailbox has an invalid format
user/robin/Junk E-mail at draftmail.org
user/robin/Sent Items at draftmail.org
-bash-2.05b$ cp Sent\ Items/cyrus.* ./
-bash-2.05b$ /usr/lib/cyrus-imapd/reconstruct -r -f
user/robin at draftmail.org
user/robin/Junk E-mail at draftmail.org
user/robin/Sent Items at draftmail.org

---