Auto Timeout in Outlook 98 and others

Cesar Lagarrigue CLagarrigue at etek.cl
Wed Mar 3 08:12:00 EST 2004

The problem is never use cyrus before, and never use outlook98 with imap,
i believe are bug into outlook, when not send idle or noop command, or any
of the errors...

but the problem are not back to old exchange.... or migrate to
thunderbirth (or something of mozilla is a nice email client)...but for
what reason not disabel the autologout, or if hack the code for disable...
the number are 30.
the real problem are i put 1440 min but nothing happen....

repeat, i never hear imap autologout exist...if know this not are into
production...

how does into big server told user into list 30.000 users in imap , for
controll the autologout...
please understand how like are to pass exchange to imap... the user never
refresh the conecction , and not timeout, etc... if this have these
problem...are into a kaos.

Many thanks.-

Cesar Lagarrigue V.
Project Engineer
clagarrigue at etek.cl

Craig Ringer <craig at postnewspapers.com.au>
03-03-2004 07:59

Cesar Lagarrigue <CLagarrigue at etek.cl>
cc
Cyrus-IMAP <info-cyrus at lists.andrew.cmu.edu>
Subject
Re: Auto Timeout in Outlook 98 and others

On Wed, 2004-03-03 at 20:21, Cesar Lagarrigue wrote:

> 2-cyrus imap have a BIG problems with the auto logout, when the client
not
> use imap, and realize any action, outlook 98 give to the user the
> password, again, and the user confuse and outlook always freeze, and
> other outlook 2002 i think recieved one popup to told , "LOGOUT Recibed"

> or something and disconect to users automaticaly.

> i change the parametre timeout, but not work... i see this parametres
only
> are to 30 minutes, but i like to turn off.

Well, you can't decrease it below 30 minutes, but you can increase well
above that ... if I understand your question correctly, you're trying to
increase or disable the timeout. The 'timeout' directive in
/etc/imapd.conf should do it - 1440 minutes seems reasonable, being 24
hours. Alternately, setting it to zero might disable timeouts entirely -
I'm not sure.

(If this is so, it needs to be noted in the man page for imapd.conf).

You can also adjust the POP3 timeout for clients using that protocol, if
you're unlucky enough to have any of them.

> Thanks Again, please help me, are into "production" state---

It seems that only after you go live with a system do you /really/ test
it...

Craig Ringer

---
Home Page: http://asg.web.cmu.edu/cyrus