cvt_cyrusdb and berkeley log files

Ken Murchison ken at oceana.com
Tue Mar 2 13:24:24 EST 2004

Andreas wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 02, 2004 at 12:30:16PM -0500, Ken Murchison wrote:
>
>>>The only way to remedy this situation is to remove the relevant log files.
>>>Anybody care to comment?
>>
>>That's what I have done in the past.  The problem is that the log files
>>still have references to the now nonexistent mailboxes.db.  What needs
>

> Yes, but those transactions have already been commited, right?

Presumably.

> At least in
> my case db_archive shows no log files in use.

Then the checkpoint might not make a difference.

>>to happen is that the mailbox in question needs to be removed from the
>>BDB environment so we don't try to recover it.  Its possible that doing
>>a checkpoint (ctl_cyrusdb -c) before the conversion may solve the
>>problem, but I have never tried it.
>

> Thanks, I'll try this. One catch is that cyrus has to be running so that
> a checkpoint can be made.

Why?  I don't believe it has to be running.  In fact, I just
successfully checkpointed a stopped server.

> Which brings me to the next question, when cyrus is cleanly shut down, does it
> perform a checkpoint? If not, then perhaps this should be added to the shutdown
> scripts.

No, it doesn't.

> If I run "db_archive" in the DB environment, I get no log files listed, which
> seems to indicate that all transactions have already been commited. Perhaps
> just a coincidence in my very low traffic environment?

If the checkpoint doesn't work, then we need to find out the correct way
to remove a database from a BDB environment.

Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127
Home Page: http://asg.web.cmu.edu/cyrus