Scanning mail directory for viruses

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Tue Mar 2 21:44:40 EST 2004

On Wed, 2004-03-03 at 03:52, Ken Murchison wrote:
> dev at eth0.ch wrote:
> > before I try to run a virus check on the users mail directories I would
> > like to get some feedback from the list.
> >
> > What happens if the scanner detects a virus in the raw mail file and moves
> > it from the box to a quarantine directory? Will the cyrus databases become
> > corrupt?
>
> If any messages are removed/altered, you'll have to run reconstruct on
> the mailbox in order to keep the index and cache files up to date.

I do this (run a virus scan, quarantine messages, and reconstruct
mailboxes where messages were changed) on a nightly basis via a cron
job. It works well, and helps weed out the odd ".zip" wrapped virus that
makes it past MimeDefang before our virus scanner gets the new
definitions.

Craig Ringer

---
Home Page: http://asg.web.cmu.edu/cyrus