creating mailboxes

Wil Cooley wcooley at nakedape.cc
Tue Mar 9 21:55:45 EST 2004

On Tue, 2004-03-09 at 17:36, Ian Beyer wrote:
> |> |

> |> Since i'm using shadow as my SASL auth mechanism, how do I do this
> |> without creating a user?
> |

> | Having a user/password defined is different from creating an INBOX for
> | that user.  You can put 'foo' and foo's password in /etc/shadow, just
> | don't create 'user.foo' via cyradm if you define 'foo' as an admin in
> | imapd.conf.
> |

> So how do I go about creating the INBOX for them? do I need to put it in
> /etc/skel for new users and manually create a directory for existing
> users? THe documentation would lead me to believe that cm inside cyradm
> is the way to do it, but that's not jiving with reality.

You don't.  The Cyrus admin user(s) should be a special, separate
account that does not receive mail directly.  I think there are some
fundamental issues you're misunderstanding.  Most people use the 'cyrus'
user, but that user usually fills two roles:
	1. Provide a non-priviledged "system" account to run the system under,
much like Postfix running under 'postfix' and MySQL running under
'mysql'.
	2. Act as a priviledged user for managing mailboxes.

Generally, there can only be one of #1, but several of #2, although
usually there's only one and it's the same for both users.  What that
account should /not/ be is a regular user account--one that is expected
to actually have a mailbox.

Why you saw directories in the administrative user's home directory is
rather mysterious.  Do you have '/home/mailadm' set as
'partition-default' in imapd.conf?  BTW, the directories are not
actually Maildir, although they are similar in some ways (but totally
incompatible).

Wil
Wil Cooley                                 wcooley at nakedape.cc
* * * * Linux, UNIX, Networking and Security Solutions * * * *
* Naked Ape Consulting                   http://nakedape.cc  *
*                   Secure E-mail Server                     *
* Naked Ape Mail Defender           http://nakedape.cc/r/md  *