creating mailboxes

Ian Beyer manuka at nerdherd.net
Wed Mar 10 00:26:09 EST 2004

Wil Cooley wrote:

>>|> |

>>| Having a user/password defined is different from creating an INBOX for
>>| that user.  You can put 'foo' and foo's password in /etc/shadow, just
>>| don't create 'user.foo' via cyradm if you define 'foo' as an admin in
>>| imapd.conf.
>>|

>>So how do I go about creating the INBOX for them? do I need to put it in
>>/etc/skel for new users and manually create a directory for existing
>>users? THe documentation would lead me to believe that cm inside cyradm
>>is the way to do it, but that's not jiving with reality.
>

> You don't.  The Cyrus admin user(s) should be a special, separate
> account that does not receive mail directly.  I think there are some
> fundamental issues you're misunderstanding.  Most people use the 'cyrus'
> user, but that user usually fills two roles:
> 	1. Provide a non-priviledged "system" account to run the system under,
> much like Postfix running under 'postfix' and MySQL running under
> 'mysql'.
> 	2. Act as a priviledged user for managing mailboxes.

I understand this. I need to create INBOXes for my *regular users*, not
for the mailadm account. cyradm isn't doing that.

> Generally, there can only be one of #1, but several of #2, although
> usually there's only one and it's the same for both users.  What that
> account should /not/ be is a regular user account--one that is expected
> to actually have a mailbox.

Right, cyrus runs as user cyrus, mailadm is the mail administrator account.

How do I get a login to cyradm without having a user account? I'm very
confused about this. It's got to be an account, but it can't be an
account. See why I'm confused?

> Why you saw directories in the administrative user's home directory is
> rather mysterious.  Do you have '/home/mailadm' set as
> 'partition-default' in imapd.conf?  BTW, the directories are not
> actually Maildir, although they are similar in some ways (but totally
> incompatible).

imapd.conf is pointing to /var/imap for partition-default. My point
about the "directories" was that they're not in fact directory entries,
but regular files - presumably something mboxish.

---
Home Page: http://asg.web.cmu.edu/cyrus