Problems with smmapd.

Lenny rahl at mindcryme.com
Fri Mar 12 14:16:06 EST 2004

Hi,

I am using Cyrus 2.2.3 with virtual domain support and Murder support. I
currently have 1 frontend server, 1 backend server and 1 mupdate/ldap server.

I am trying to get smmapd working and have been having some problems with it.
If I query the socket with an email that exists, I get something like the
following error in my logs:

 Mar 12 12:50:28 cyr-fe1 smmapd[19286]: append_check() of
 'domain.com!user.username' failed (System I/O error)
 Mar 12 12:50:28 cyr-fe1 sendmail[19287]: i2CHoSmH019287:
 user at domain.com... User unknown

I also get this message if I test using the perl sample client that comes with
sendmail (8.13 or 8.12patched). I only get this message is the address being
checked (user at domain) actually exists on the backend server. Accounts checked
through the smmapd socket that don't exist get the problem return code.

Here is the smmapd line from cyrus.conf:

  smmapd        cmd="/usr/lib/cyrus-imapd/smmapd"
listen="/var/lib/imap/socket/socketmap" prefork=1

Everything else works such as lmtp delivery to the backend, authentication for
pop/imap, sieve, etc, so the proxy settings are fine in imapd.conf. This has
actually been up and running with little trouble for awhile now. The issue has
become that we need sendmail to reject email destined for invalid addresses at
the rcpt to phase instead of sendmail dumping the message to lmtp and cyrus
sending a bounce back.

Thanks.
--

"Wisdom is to a man an infinite Treasure" - Anonymous"

---
Home Page: http://asg.web.cmu.edu/cyrus