cyrus stopped working -- corrupted files ?

Tracy Bost tbost at appraisalforum.com
Tue Mar 16 16:09:16 EST 2004

Our cyrus server(2.1.15) has been running like a charm for about 5 months now on RedHat Enterprise 3 ..
We are also using web-cyradm /postfix(2.0.16) with it if it matters.

This morning we had an episode where the pop3 clients couldn't connect to the server. IMAP was working still fine. Noticed that port 110 wasn't open,and re-started cyrus server. Then pop3 and imap quit working.Nothing worked.  Below is snippet of the cyrus errors logs. I noticed in the archive that someone was told to delete all the files under /var/imap/db to eliminate errors that were similiar to mine.
 I did that and lo and behold everything is working again.

My question is what exactly would cause this problem or why would the files under db become corrupt ?
We naturally want to try and prevent this from happening in the future.

Thanks !

Mar 16 08:26:06 AFMAIL1 ctl_cyrusdb[6976]: DBERROR db4: PANIC: DB_RUNRECOVERY: Fatal error, run database recovery
Mar 16 09:04:30 AFMAIL1 ctl_cyrusdb[3660]: DBERROR: dbenv->open '/var/imap/db' failed: DB_RUNRECOVERY: Fatal error, run database recovery
Mar 16 09:04:30 AFMAIL1 ctl_cyrusdb[3660]: DBERROR: init /var/imap/db: cyrusdb error
Mar 16 09:04:30 AFMAIL1 ctl_deliver[3659]: DBERROR db4: fatal region error detected; run recovery