Sieve for shared mailboxes

Rob Siemborski rjs3 at andrew.cmu.edu
Mon Mar 22 13:28:07 EST 2004

On Fri, 19 Mar 2004, Stephen Grier wrote:

> Isn't it the case that for user-space mailboxes, sieve scripts are only
> applied on delivery via LMTP, and not when a message is copied or
> fileintod it? I don't see why the same behaviour wouldn't be adequate
> for shared mailboxes.

It isn't quite the same.  Right now, sieve scripts are set for "delivery
to user" -- making sieve scripts per-folder instead opens up a world of
possibilities among which is the following example.

I have INBOX.family, INBOX.family.mom, INBOX.family.dad, and so on.

I want to be able to just drag and drop a message onto INBOX.family and
have it filtered into the the right sub-mailbox.  So I put a sieve script
on INBOX.family, and it does so.  It would also do so if my "main" sieve
script executed a fileinto "INBOX.family" and so on.  This can apply to
shared folders just as easily.

This sort of behavior allows you to have a collection of short sieve
scripts rather than one very large complicated one.

It also opens a world of possibility for new bugs.  There definately isn't
a consensus on what the desireable behavior here is.

-Rob