sendmail and virtual domains and catchalls?

William K. Hardeman wont-i at wkh.org
Sat Mar 20 10:06:11 EST 2004

--On Saturday, 20 March, 2004 23:59 +1100 Carl Brewer
<carl at bl.echidna.id.au> wrote:

<snip>
> Everything works, except the virtusertables.  Ie: I can send mail to
> carl at foo.com.au and it works fine, the aliases entries send local
> mail to carl at foo.com.au or carl at bl.echidna.id.au as per the aliases
> file.
>
> I couldn't find anything on your site that seemed to offer the
> same functionality as virtusertables.  Googling around seems to
> suggest that sendmail does mailertables first, and doesn't look
> at the virtusertables with the above setup.  I don't know if I
> completely understood your localtable setup, but it appeared to
> me to be more of an aliases workalike than a virtusertable workalike,
> and I wasn't sure if it worked with or clashed with virtual hosting?
>
> The only other info I've been able to find is someone else
> trying to do the same thing as me (I think!) :
>
> http://www.mail-archive.com/gentoo-user@gentoo.org/msg36862.html
>
> So ... I *think* what I need to be able to do is get
> sendmail to run the virtusertable, then the mailertable (and
> thus pass the mail to cyrusv2d via the mailertable).  Is
> this possible?  Does cyrus imapd offer any form of aliasing
> within itself instead of using a virtusertable through sendmail?

Actually, sendmail _should_ process the virtusertable first. When
sendmail.cf is generated, it comes before the mailertable rules in ruleset
"Parse1" in the default generated sendmail.cf. I would recommend that you
try doing the following to see if it is actually hitting the virtusertable
and not finding a match or missing it altogether before getting to the
mailertable rules:

sendmail -d60.5 -bt bar at foo.com.au

I was having similar problems with some addresses when I was trying to get
my custom rules working prior to Andrej's new ruleset that you are using,
and I eventually had to use fairly full debugging to find out what was
going wrong. If the above doesn't help much in determining what is wrong,
try:

sendmail -d -bt bar at foo.com.au

I hope this helps in your tracking down what is wrong,
Will

William K. Hardeman
wont-i at wkh.org
http://www.wkh.org

discoveries, is not "Eureka!" (I found it!) but "That's funny ..."
                -- Isaac Asimov

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then
do it.
--Robert A. Heinlein
---
Home Page: http://asg.web.cmu.edu/cyrus