Sieve: timsieved: could not getenv(CYRUS_SERVICE); exiting

Henrik Troeng henrik at troeng.com
Thu Mar 25 20:03:31 EST 2004

Hi all!

I have a problem when I try to start sieve. When I run
/usr/cyrus/bin/timsieved nothing happens, but when I check the messages
logfile I can see that the error:

timsieved: could not getenv(CYRUS_SERVICE); exiting

has been logged.

What can be my problem?

I have NO imap/pop/sieve configurated in xinetd.conf so the problem is not
there.

My cyrus.conf file has the following lines:

SERVICES {

imap               cmd=”imapd” listen=”imap” prefork=0

pop3               cmd=”pop3d” listen=”pop3” prefork=0

sieve               cmd=”timsieved” listen=”sieve” prefork=0

and so on

I really don´t remember if I compiled cyrus with sieve support, but if I
remember correctly you have to manually disable sieve-support and I didn´t
do that in the configuration process.

Also, I do have the timsieved program in my cyrus/bin dir, and the
sieveshell in /usr/local/bin.

I hope someone can help me out here :)

//Henrik