SASL or lmtpengine bug?

Michael Loftis mloftis at wgops.com
Thu Mar 25 18:19:19 EST 2004

Cyrus IMAPD 2.1.16
Cyrus SASL 2.1.18

I've been using SASL indirectly through Cyrus IMAP (2.1.16) and I am having
intermittent SASL -4 No worthy mechs found errors....IT's totally
inconsistent.  What I've found is that when it happens SASL has somehow not
realised that PLAIN is a plugin available to it, only EXTERNAL comes out of
a call to sasl_listmechs()...I can't reproduce this manually, it happens
sporadically.  But the mechs allowed/available are always passed in the
same (PLAIN) and I've verified that the LMTP Server is sending back AUTH
PLAIN and that the lmtpengine do_auth code is handing that back to SASL.
But SASL never manages to find it's PLAIN plugin so returns -4 occasionally.

I'm sort of at a loss as to how to further debug this and am trying to see
if anyone else has seen this?  It would be very difficult to make a call to
sasl_listmechs and log that for every connection because that would be a
huge amount of logs.  I'm not even entirely sure where the mechlist gets
built, but obviously there is something going occasionally wrong.

--
GPG/PGP --> 0xE736BD7E 5144 6A2D 977A 6651 DFBE 1462 E351 88B9 E736 BD7E

---
Home Page: http://asg.web.cmu.edu/cyrus