lower casing in 2.2.3

Philip Chambers P.A.Chambers at exeter.ac.uk
Wed Mar 31 04:10:18 EST 2004

On Tue, 30 Mar 2004 16:29:03 +0100 (GMT Daylight Time) Philip Chambers
<P.A.Chambers at exeter.ac.uk> wrote:

> I have just started testing version 2.2.3 as an upgrade from 2.1.13 on Solaris 8.
>
> I still have some legacy usernames which have mixed case, but that was Ok with
> 2.1.13.  However, 2.2.3 appears to be downcasing the username when calling saslauthd
> and the plaintext password check fails.  IMAPD logs the username with uppercase in
> the badlogin: line in syslog, but saslauthd is logging it all lower case in the
> corresponding syslog message.
>
> I have not changed saslauthd, so the problem must be in imapd.
>
> I have had a quick look at the code but cannot see where this is happening.  Any
> suggestions?

I have the explanation for this.  By searching the code I would that a new option
from imapd.conf was being used.  The new option is "username_tolower" and I have set
it to "no" in my config and it seems OK now.

What surprises me is that a new option has been created and the default value is the
opposite of the old behaviour.  On top of that there is no reference to it in the
"changes" document.

Phil.