Problems with Cyrus IMAP 2.2.5 on Solaris 9 on production server

Igor Brezac igor at ipass.net
Wed Jun 2 11:46:08 EDT 2004

On Wed, 2 Jun 2004, Shawn Sivy wrote:

> >Have things improved since you restarted master?
> >
> >You can use pfiles and pmap (and lsof) to check for open files and memory
> >usage.  Try to use pfile against a running imapd process and see if a
> >number of open files increases.
> >
> >What does ulimit -a say?
> >

> cyrus# ulimit -a
> time(seconds)        unlimited
> file(blocks)         unlimited
> data(kbytes)         unlimited
> stack(kbytes)        8192
> coredump(blocks)     unlimited
> nofiles(descriptors) 1024
> vmemory(kbytes)      unlimited

I have seen problems with imtest when file descriptor ulimit was set to
unlimited.  imtest would dump right after a successfull authentication.
This may be your problem when setting quota with cyradm.  Try to set the
file descriptor limit to your hard limit (1024) and try cyradm again.

> I played around with using skiplist for quota_db last night, but
> couldn't get it to work, setting/getting quotas just hung (cyradm).
> After I moved back to quotalegacy and copied back the previous quota
> files, I haven't seen the System I/O errors to "Too many files" message
> since, however, if it is a descriptor leak as Ken suggested, it may take
> a while to show itself.
>
> I ran pmap and pfiles against an imapd and lmptd process.  I'm not sure
> exactly how to interpret the output, but nothing seemed excessive.  The
> one thing I notice is that the rlimit of the process is 256 eventhough
> the system-wide default limit ... not the max (set in /etc/system) is
> 1024.  I though I saw that that 256 was a 32-bit app limit (at least on
> Solaris), but I'm not sure.  The cyrus code is currently all compiled at
> 32-bit, not 64-bit.

This is fine, cyrus (master) sets unlimited rlimit for itself and 256 for
each service.

> Are your running version 2.2.5 or an earlier version (like 2.2.3) of
> imap?  I may move back to 2.2.3 later today at Ken's suggestion.

I run the cvs head version which is pretty much 2.2.5.

--
Igor