Follow-up: client configuration - slightly off-topic

Andrew J Caird andrew.caird at fccc.edu
Wed Jun 9 09:35:18 EDT 2004

On Wed, 2 Jun 2004, Andrew J Caird wrote:

> Hello all,
>   We are planning on migrating a UW IMAP server to Cyrus IMAP (2.2.5), and
> I have some questions about client configuration; not exactly a Cyrus
> questions, but perhaps someone here has dealt with this before.
>
>   1. Apple's Mail.app doesn't see the users' folders until the "IMAP
>      Prefix Path" is set in the configuration.  We'll migrate about 150
>      people who use this client, and even if we give instructions before
>      hand, this will generate 200 calls to the helpdesk on the Monday
>      after we do this.  Is there any way of having the server share this
>      information with this client, since the server certainly knows my
>      "IMAP Prefix Path"?  Or should this simply work and I've done
>      something wrong?
>
>   2. Netscape does not show the folders below Inbox until either the user
>      subscribes or the user unchecks the box saying "Show only subscribed
>      folders".  We don't use shared folders, so there is no harm in
>      unchecking that box in our environment, but is there a way to
>      automatically subscribe people to all of their folders?
>
> Outlook, of course, grabs everything it can, which, in this case, is what
> we want.

After posting this, I got very helpful replies from Ludovic Marcotte,
Andrew Morgan, and Denis V. Suhanov.

The solution to number 1 is to use altnamespace=yes in the imapd.conf
file, which makes the folders appear at the same level as the inbox.

The solution to number 2 isn't as elegent, but one way is to write a
script that enumerates all of each user's folders, and subscribes to them
all.  Because Cyrus (wisely) lets the administrative user operate on all
of the users' mailboxes, this isn't as hard as it might otherwise be.

I hope this helps someone else out, and thanks a lot to everyone who
replied!
--
Andrew Caird