Moving to a sealed system - Looking for a How-To

Kevin Fries kevin at hcico.com
Mon Jun 7 14:42:06 EDT 2004

My current configuration is as follows:

  - RedHat 7.2
  - OpenLDAP 2.0.27
  - Qmail 1.0.3
  - Currier IMAP 1.7.3
  - PureFTPD 1.0.15
  - Apache 1.3.27

While this setup works fairly well, I have had more than just a few
non-trivial problems with it.  With RedHat's support ending as of the
first of the year, I have been forced to use alternative repositories
(the ones from Fedora Legacy) to keep my system up to date.  I am now
planning on making a major update, and placing everything under RPM and
package management.

At the same time, I would like to seal this system, and stop using
system accounts for the end users.  My current setup pulls system
accounts from LDAP via nssldap and pamldap.  I would like to have my
email upgraded, my IMAP upgraded, add a few services like smtp-auth via
CRAM-MD5, while at the same time stopping the use of system accounts.
Instead, I would like the server software to pull the account and AAA
information directly from LDAP.

My new desired configuration:

  - Fedora Core 2 w/2.6.5 kernel
  - OpenLDAP 2.1.29
  - Postfix 2.0.18
  - Cyrus SASL 2.1.18
  - Cyrus IMAP 2.2.3
  - ProFTPd 1.2.9
  - Apache 2.0.49

Needless to say, this is not a trivial upgrade, so I need to make sure
that I have all my documentation lined up, read twice, and fully
understood before I even start.  I have searched the CMU website and the
documentation is way old.  There seems to be patches for Cyrus IMAP 1.x
to handle LDAP, but no mention of 2.x.  Is it built in, or can 2.x
handle LDAP?  Is there any documentation or HOWTOs that will assist me
in this migration?  Especially (thus the message to this mail group)
with the Currier => Cyrus SASL/IMAP translation and the adding of
CRAM-MD5 for SMTP-AUTH using Postfix?

Thanks in advance for any help.

--
Kevin Fries