deliver -q won't ignore quotas

Ken Murchison ken at oceana.com
Wed Jun 9 16:16:37 EDT 2004

Jamie Davey wrote:

> Hi all
>
> I am trying to get a script (derived from the archives of this list)
> running that will deliver a warning mail to users who are in danger of
> breaching / have breached their mailbox quota. The script determines the
> users affected by running the quota command and then tries to send them
> a mail using deliver with the -q directive to deliver regardless of
> their quota usage. It works fine for users who are approaching their
> full quota but not for those currently over it.
>
> I have run the script without the deliver portion and manually sent the
> mails, again using "deliver -q -l"  and get a "452 4.2.2 Over quota"
> error which disregards the recipient. Is this a bug with deliver or am I
> doing something wrong

If you're going to speak LMTP directly (-l option), then no other
options apply and you need to add the IGNOREQUOTA protocol element
yourself (see below).  Actually, if you're writing your own LMTP client,
then talk to lmtpd directly instead of using deliver as a pass-through
proxy.

> # Warning messages
> if (@warn) {
>    open(DELIVER, "| $deliverprog -q -l");
>    print DELIVER "MAIL FROM:<postmaster\@nqe.com>\n";
>    foreach $warnuser (@warn) {
>        print DELIVER "RCPT TO:<$warnuser>\n";

This should be "RCPT TO:<$warnuser> IGNOREQUOTA\n"

>    };
>    print DELIVER "DATA\n";
>    print DELIVER <<EOF;

Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127