efficiency drops when user exceed 5000+?

lst_hoe01 at kwsoft.de lst_hoe01 at kwsoft.de
Wed Jun 9 11:14:49 EDT 2004

Zitat von Zhang Weiwu <zhangweiwu at realss.com>:

> Hello. I have cyrus imapd runing now on my server. Today I heard people
> say when the user number exceed 5000+ the cyrus proformance drops in the
> way that unless many partitions ware made (what partition? file system
> partition?) to share the load. I'm pretty newbie on mail server
> administration, should I start to do something in case my user number
> grow over 5000+? I'm running a dual-processor Xeon server with IDE soft
> RAID10 discs.

Get real discs. IDE is bad for small random accessed files and soft RAID don't
make them better.
Be sure to use a filesystem capable of managing a lot of files or hash the
imapspool.
Have a look at your memory stats. Swapping will kill all performance.

This said there is no drop in efficiency but some point at which your hardware
is not able to keep up. But it depends on what your users are doing and not
only on the user-count.

Regards

Andreas