Cyrus Lmtp vs Deliver

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Sat Jun 12 05:37:42 EDT 2004

On Thu, 2004-06-10 at 01:13, Kevin Baker wrote:
> On the "real" scsi hard RAID, I agree but...
>
> For those of us currently using Managed hosting, IDE
> drives might be the only option up front. While hardware
> RAID and SCSI are with out a doubt *much* better...
> the following makes sense to me:
>
> - IDE soft RAID server handles 3000 users NP
> - it slows at 5000 users
> - why not partition to a second server to keep load down?
> - if it was fine with 3000 users it stands to reason
>    that this would be fine partitioned.
> - Aren't 2 cheap serv's w/ HA better than one
>    better server as a single point of failure?

I would be very interested to hear if anybody has tried out SATA
hardware RAID with high-performance (WD Raptor or similar) SATA disks on
their Cyrus server? In particular, experiences with the WD Raptor 73GB
disks, as they might be a reasonable alternative to a SCSI array. I'm
sure other Cyrus users would find the information interesting, too.

I'm using SATA RAID here, but with normal WD and Seagate disks - desktop
IDE drives with a different plug, really. My user count is tiny, but
disproportionately hard on the server, as most of our clients seem to
think that email is made for lobbing 100MB TIFF files around. *sigh*.
The server also has a lot of other roles, and really feels the disk
load. As a result, if anybody has experience with the high-end SATA
disks, I'd be very interested in hearing about it.

I suspect the big difference would be TCQ support...

Craig Ringer