Could this be a berkeley db issue?

mgrommet at sigmarep.com mgrommet at sigmarep.com
Tue Jun 15 01:45:21 EDT 2004

I posted earlier today about a performance issue I'm seeing with
cyrus-imap 2.2.4 (and 2.2.5, I attempted an upgrade)...  A basic summary
from before:

- RedHat Enterprise Server 3.0
- Upgrading from Redhat 7.3
- Cyrus 2.2.5
- Upgrading from Cyrus 2.0.16
- Pam auth through sasl, authenticating against a mysql db
- Running SMP on a dual processor machine.  RedHat Enterprise Server comes
with libdb-4.1 installed

The server seems to function fine, just slowly...

I've run local imtest -z runs on the server, and I've seen finishing
results on the order of anywhere from 40-60 seconds.

Running the same test on a RH 8 server , running cyrus-imap 2.1.something,
with similar authentication routines took 3 seconds... so I'm feeling
pretty confident that the auth method is not slowing things down to this
extent.

I read some not-so-clear comments in the archives that mentioned very
bizarre libdb-4 issues, with redhat distributed libdb-4 (or maybe I'm
remembering incorrectly), especially with threading issues.

Seems threading issues could cause really slow performance...  Does this
sound like I might be on the same track?

Any other ideas that I might try?  Unfortunately, the server got placed
into production before we noticed the performance problem!