quota -f dies with segmentation fault

Simon Matter simon.matter at ch.sauter-bc.com
Wed Jun 16 02:24:47 EDT 2004

> Hi,
>
> I am running cyrus-imapd 2.2.5 on a server with 17,000 user accounts and a
> 131GB mail spool. The mail accounts were recently moved from a server
> running an older version. During the move quota infomration was lost. When
> I run "quota -f" it dies with segmentation fault after the last user has
> been processed. After "quota -f" dies I have two files in the
> /var/lib/imap/quota/ directories for each user, one like user.adilinden
> and another user.adilinden.NEW.

Now that you mention it I remember that I had the same problem last week.
Another problem was that some peoples quota has been removed. I don't know
whether the two issues are related but at least I couldn't find out what
happened.
IIRC the 'quota -f' also generated something like 'too many open files'. A
second run of 'quota -f' has then finished without problems.
I'm not sure about the open files limit. This is on Linux, kernel 2.4. The
cyrus user, under which quota was started, has the default ulimit of 1024
open files. The kernel according to /proc/sys/fs/file-max has 838860.
Could it be that the 'quota -f' opens more that 1024 files and segfaults
because of it?

Simon