Refuse over quota mail

Ken Murchison ken at oceana.com
Thu Jun 17 17:35:01 EDT 2004

Adi Linden wrote:
>>>How can I configure cyrus-imapd to refuse over quota mail instead of
>>>having sendmail generate a bounce message. Is this possible?
>>
>>Enable lmtp_over_quota_perm_failure in imapd.conf
>

> I did that. Now it no longer queues over quota messages but generates a
> bounce message to the sender that message delivery failed. For the most
> part these messages are spam with nonexistant senders. This means the
> bounces still clog the spool.
>
> What I would have liked seen is sendmail refusing the message during the
> conversation with the sending MTA, therefore eliminating the need for a
> bounce message. I realized that this is probably not possible because the
> over quota conditioned isn't recognized until sendmail received the
> complete message.

Use the Sendmail socket daemon (smmapd) which comes with Cyrus.  You'll
need either Sendmail 8.13 or the patch for 8.12
(http://www.sendmail.org/~ca/email/smenhanced.html)

This will check for over quota at RCPT TO time and send back a failure
within the SMTP session.

Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127