Refuse over quota mail

Ken Murchison ken at oceana.com
Thu Jun 17 19:28:57 EDT 2004

Gary Mills wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 17, 2004 at 05:35:01PM -0400, Ken Murchison wrote:
>
>>Use the Sendmail socket daemon (smmapd) which comes with Cyrus.  You'll
>>need either Sendmail 8.13 or the patch for 8.12
>>(http://www.sendmail.org/~ca/email/smenhanced.html)
>>
>>This will check for over quota at RCPT TO time and send back a failure
>>within the SMTP session.
>

> Does that mean that if the user's mailbox is over quota, but the user
> has a sieve script that redirects the mail someplace else, the
> redirection will fail?

Yes.  We can't check the actual disposition of the message via Sieve
because we don't have all of the relevent info (the socket map protocol
doesn't pass the envelope info or the message size), so we assume that
the script might fail and try to do an implicit keep to the INBOX.  If
I'm not mistaken, lmtpd does the same thing when it receives the RCPT
TO.  The bottom line is that you should always make sure that you're
under quota on your INBOX (and associated mailboxes within the same
quotaroot).

Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127