Problems with idle pop3 connections locking mailboxes

Michael Sims michaels at crye-leike.com
Mon Jun 28 15:25:28 EDT 2004

Rob Siemborski wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Jun 2004, Michael Sims wrote:
>> Can anyone (developers?) tell me if there are significant changes in
>> either socket handling or the pop3 daemon between latest 2.1.x and
>> latest 2.2.x that may affect this issue?
[...]
> I don't believe there is anything that will substantially change how
> POP works if what you're seeing is a write() call that just blocks
> forever, no.

Thanks for the answer.  A few weeks ago our network manager installed a intrusion
detection/content filtering device that inspects all traffic passing through our
network.  The device acts as a transparent proxy, and apparently buffers the network
traffic so that it can scan it for malware.  I'm hoping that this device has been
the cause of these problems.  He's disabled scanning for POP3, so I'll keep an eye
on it for the next few days.  For the benefits of the archives I'll followup if this
was the solution.  Thanks again...