High availability ... again

Etienne Goyer etienne.goyer at linuxquebec.com
Mon Jun 28 09:43:02 EDT 2004

Ben Carter wrote:
> Etienne Goyer wrote:
>
>> Tore Anderson word of wisdom where :
>>
>>>   There's a third option, which is the one I prefer the most:  shared
>>>  block device.
>>

>> Well, I did not consider that option since the SAN become a single
>> point-of-failure, and that is a big no-no according to the
>> specifications I have at the moment.
>>
>> If it would have been possible, it would have been my first choice
>> though.
>

> Do you consider the SAN a SPOF even if you have multiple paths to it
> from each server and it has no internal SPOF?  If so, isn't your cluster
> or your single physical location a SPOF?

Two location, a single path (20 Mb/s) between the two.  Thinking about
it, the SPOF is actually the link between the two location.  The
situation is pretty much toasted as there cannot be a fully redundant
setup.  Case closed !

On a similar note, RedHat have apparently bought Sistina, and GPLed GFS.
  This is great news for HA under Linux, IMHO.  I will be testing it soon.