State on shared folders

Rob Siemborski rjs3 at andrew.cmu.edu
Wed Jun 23 15:31:59 EDT 2004

On Wed, 23 Jun 2004, Mike Brodbelt wrote:

> I've just set up shared folders on my Cyrus server, and Cyrus is
> maintaining per-user state for these folders. For my purposes, it would
> be useful to be able to have state information maintained per folder, as
> opposed to per user. Is it possible to have Cyrus do this - I can't see
> any obvious references to it after some googling?

The only state that is maintained per-user is seen state (well, and
private annotations).  All the rest is per-folder.  This is both because
its sane (people read folders at different times) and the fact that having
a single file for all seen state users in a shared folder is a very fast
way to get a locking bottleneck.

If you are just worried about seen state for some sort of tracking
purposes, you may want to consider using IMAP Keywords instead to denote
whatever state you are trying to share.

-Rob