Cyrus MURDER - Frontend server configuration options

Etienne Goyer etienne.goyer at linuxquebec.com
Tue Jun 29 09:57:04 EDT 2004

Michael Halligan wrote:
> I'm interested in the aggregator too.. What I'd really like to know is
> if I can use Courier as a back-end.. I have several thousand mail
> boxes, and converting from Maildir just isn't an option, but I'm
> finding a strong lack of imap proxy software out there.

You can't.  First, the backend must register their mailbox list with the
MUPDATE master server via the MUPDATE protocol, which only Cyrus
support.  Second, mailbox operations (creation, deletion, rename, etc)
on backend must first be reserved via the MUPDATE protocol too.  Third,
your backend servers must support proxy authentication (ie SASL
DIGEST-MD5 mechanism) to receive connection from the frontends, which
Courier does not support AFAIK.

Theorically, it is possible to have a Murder with various IMAP
implementation as long as every node support the MUPDATE protocol.  At
this point though, only Cyrus implement it.