MURDER or IMAP proxy solution ?

Rob Siemborski rjs3 at andrew.cmu.edu
Fri Jul 2 10:48:30 EDT 2004

On Thu, 1 Jul 2004, Greg Pulfer wrote:

>> At the time that the document to which you refer was
>> written, it had
>> also received substantially more testing, this is
>> not really the case any
>> longer.
>
> You mean that documentation is a bit outdated nowadays
> ?

No, I mean that the murder has received significantly more testing since
it was written.

> That's true 200 mailboxes is nothing but it will grow
> rapidly and I was thinking if I already configure my
> site with a MURDER configuration I will have less work
> after adding extra backend server or frontend servers.
> I  would like to start with one frontend server (also
> running the MUPDATE server) and one backend server.
> And pretty soon I should be adding a second backend
> server. Don't you think it's less work for the future
> if I already start with a mini MURDER configration?

Possibly, but you may be surprised how far a single server can scale.  (Of
course, you're probably asking the wrong person about how easy it is to
set up an aggregator, but...).

Really, moving from a single backend to a backend+frontend configuration
is fairly simple, provided you have the authentication issues worked out.

-Rob