Client authentication via client certificate on ssl/tls

Ken Murchison ken at oceana.com
Fri Jul 2 07:52:44 EDT 2004

Pascal Gienger wrote:

> Hi,
>
> does anybody on the list already had the idea to use an information of a
> client certificate for authentication in IMAPD?

This is exactly what the EXTERNAL SASL mechanism is designed for and is
available in Cyrus.  If the client presents a TLS client cert, Cyrus
will make the EXTERNAL mechanism available, which essentially means "use
the credentials presented outside of SASL".  Whether any mainstream
clients have support for EXTERNAL, I don't know.

Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127