Cyrus IMAP, sendmail and LDAP

John Arthur lists at davey.net.au
Wed Jul 7 22:07:43 EDT 2004

The way you have it setup now Sendmail accepts all mail before trying to
deliver it via cyrus (just like most secondary and some primary mx servers
do). So if I send 1000 emails to non existant users your sendmail will
accept them all (regardless of weather they exist or not) before trying to
deliver them to cyrus. Because I'm a spammer I've used fake return addresses
so you now have 1000 bounces sitting in your mail queue (which Sendmail
keeps trying to resend every hour)until they expire putting a strain on your
resources.

Every time I have setup LDAP routing for a domain (primarily on the mx
servers but also on the cyrus system) it has resulted in a 80% to 90%
reduction in mail traffic and server load.