Cyrus performance with IMP versus logged-in mail clients

Michael Sims michaels at crye-leike.com
Fri Jul 23 16:49:51 EDT 2004

Aidan Evans wrote:
>   Does anyone have any comments on the performance of Cyrus IMAP
> (2.1.15) using the IMP webmail client with a large number of
> simultaneous users versus with "conventional" mail clients?  In our
> case the objective is to handle about 2,000 simultaneous IMP users.
>
>   My main concern is that with IMP each transaction, e.g., reading a
> mail message, requires a new connection and login to the IMAP server.
> Conventional mail clients tend to stay logged in and don't incur the
> overhead of answering the new connection and re-authenticating the
> user for every operation.

I don't have any direct experience with that amount of volume, but you may want to
consider using Horde's IMAP proxy program, which keeps the IMAP connection open
between requests and avoids the overhead of connecting and authenticating:

http://www.horde.org/imapproxy/

You may also want to ask this question on the IMP mailing list if you haven't
already done so.

Michael Sims
Project Analyst - Information Technology
Crye-Leike Realtors
Office: (901)758-5648  Pager: (901)769-3722