Problem with authentication using Cyrus IMAP 2.2.6 and SASL 2.1.19 on FreeBSD RELENG_5_2. User isn't found/can't authenticate

Louis LeBlanc Cyrus at keyslapper.org
Mon Jul 26 09:27:15 EDT 2004

On 07/26/04 10:08 PM, Anton Jackson-Smith sat at the `puter and typed:
> Hey everyone,
> I'm having some problems with authentication running Cyrus IMAP 2.2.6
> and SASL 2.1.19 on FreeBSD updated to RELENG_5_2 base system and the
> latest ports.

I'm running exactly the same combination of cyrus and FreeBSD
versions.  I also had the same authentication problem.  Here's what I
finally found (after a weeks googling, doc reading, etc).  Don't use a
saslpasswd.  Use your regular Unix login password.  Saslauthd installs
from the FreeBSD ports with pam as the default mechanism.  I kept
resetting the password for my id at a million different possible
realms, and it never worked unless I skipped CRAM-MD5 authentication.
Fially, I realized that there's a line in the
/usr/local/etc/rc.d/saslauthd.sh script that specifies "-a pam" as the
args.  If you want to change this, you'll need to verify the correct
mechanism for your needs and set the variable saslauthd_flags in
/etc/rc.conf - which will override the rc.d startup.

> Basically, when attempting to login using imtest there's always a second
> or two delay, followed by "S: L01 NO Login failed: authentication
> failure". I'm using imtest with the following command: "imtest -m login
> -a test localhost".

I got the same thing.

BTW, I also had problems with delivery - I'm using procmail, running
as the recipient to call deliver.  I solved this by setting the suid
bit on deliver.  Just in case.

HTH
Lou

Louis LeBlanc                 cyrus at keyslapper.org
http://www.keyslapper.org                     Ô¿Ô¬

Law of Procrastination:
  Procrastination avoids boredom; one never has
  the feeling that there is nothing important to do.