nntp fiddling

Ken Murchison ken at oceana.com
Thu Jan 1 09:50:23 EST 2004

Nils Vogels wrote:
> Ken Murchison wrote:
>
>> +archive.info-cyrus at utdallas.edu wrote:

>>> On this box?  My test box is a scruffy old U10 with nearly no memory
>>> and slow drives.  I can't really see a difference myself. The only
>>> slight difference appears when I unset newsprefix, presumedly because
>>> it has to search out more folders.  However, even this difference
>>> seems very slight.  I'm not even sure it really exists.  ;-)
>>

>> Cool!  Thanks for the feedback.  You're one of only two people that
>> has given me any substantial feedback on the NNTP support in 2.2.
>>
>> Happy New Year!
>>
> I've been fiddling around a bit as well, but the main problem is, that I
> do not have access to an NNTP feed, and Cyrus didn't not support pulling
> one in (using MODE READER, and sucking in articles). In the end, having
> to make a chain with an intermediate program that did the Cyrus <--> ISP
> NNTP server interaction and LMTP injection turned out to be rather a
> pain, hence I dropped the idea altogether, unfortunately.
>
> If this could be changed, I would love to try again ;-)

Cyrus 2.2 includes the fetchnews program which will grab articles from
an upstream server using the NEWNEWS command.  If the upstream server
doesn't allow NEWNEWS, then you can use the sucknews program
(http://home.comcast.net/~bobyetman/index.html).

I have tested both and still use fetchnews myself.  Here are sample
cyrus.conf entries:

# fetch news articles
fetchnews	cmd="fetchnews bogey" period=5
suck		cmd="suck bogey -M -bp -hl localhost -c -H -n -dd /etc
		     -dm /var/spool/suck -dt /tmp -s -e" period=5

Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127