nntp fiddling

Ken Murchison ken at oceana.com
Sun Jan 4 18:05:52 EST 2004

Kevin P. Fleming wrote:

> Ken Murchison wrote:
>
>> Yes, it uses IHAVE.  I can take a look at adding support for POST (the
>> commands are almost identical).  Does your provider also require you
>> to authenticate?
>

> Ken, I'd like to try out this support too, I've been hanging around
> waiting for it to more stable (and get features like these added). In my
> case, I'd be mirroring newsgroups from 4-5 different servers, none of
> which I can get a feed from. That means using reader mode only, for both
> retrieval and posting; in my case, none of them require authentication
> (they are either public servers or use IP authentication (my ISP)).

Would you want to feed to all of the servers, or just one?  Currently,
fetchnews and nntpd are only setup to have one upstream peer.

Actually fetchnews can work with any server you want, but it doesn't
keep track of the groups by server.  So, as long as there isn't any
intersection of the groups your are fetching from the servers, your
won't have a problem.  If anybody thinks that fetching the same groups
from different servers is necessary, I can tweak the fetchnews.db format
to handle this (I think).

Until I add POST support, you could set a news2mail annotation on the
groups that you want to feed upstream and then use lmtp2nntp

> I don't have 2.2.x installed yet, but my server will be undergoing a
> major rebuild in the next week or two and I'm looking forward to trying
> this out. It will be used in combination with SquirrelMail, so I'm
> hoping the news folders will be easily usable from there.

The "news" folders are no different from "email" folders.  You can feed
them via NNTP and serve them via IMAP or feed them via LMTP and serve
them via NNTP (or any other combo).  SquirrelMail shouldn't have any
problem serving up your newsgroups.

Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127