nntp fiddling

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at backtobasicsmgmt.com
Sun Jan 4 19:15:09 EST 2004

Ken Murchison wrote:

> Would you want to feed to all of the servers, or just one?  Currently,
> fetchnews and nntpd are only setup to have one upstream peer.

Yes, I would want to feed messages back to all the servers.

> Actually fetchnews can work with any server you want, but it doesn't
> keep track of the groups by server.  So, as long as there isn't any
> intersection of the groups your are fetching from the servers, your
> won't have a problem.  If anybody thinks that fetching the same groups
> from different servers is necessary, I can tweak the fetchnews.db format
> to handle this (I think).

There is no overlap between the groups from the different servers, and
grouping them is easy with wildcard matching:

cups.*
microsoft.*
infragistics.*
everything else

> Until I add POST support, you could set a news2mail annotation on the
> groups that you want to feed upstream and then use lmtp2nntp

OK, I will look at that as well. My outbound message volume is very
light, so I don't need anything very complicated to handle it.

> The "news" folders are no different from "email" folders.  You can feed
> them via NNTP and serve them via IMAP or feed them via LMTP and serve
> them via NNTP (or any other combo).  SquirrelMail shouldn't have any
> problem serving up your newsgroups.

Very nice! That means that once I have this done I'll be able access all
four of my mailboxes and all the newsgroups I participate in from
anywhere on the Internet... life will be sweet :-)