Notification of new mail to client?

Ken Murchison ken at oceana.com
Tue Jan 6 12:28:53 EST 2004

Jim Archer wrote:
> --On Tuesday, January 06, 2004 9:49 AM -0500 Rob Siemborski
> <rjs3 at andrew.cmu.edu> wrote:
>
>> Huh?  By default in IMAP, clients need to poll for new message
>> notifications.
>>
>> Cyrus does support the IDLE extension, which will send new mail
>> notifications as they arrive, but only if you have a client that uses it.
>

> Hm, I guess I am misinformed then.  My mistake, thanks for the
> correction. Is the IDLE extension in Cyrus turned on by default, or is
> there something I have to do to activate it?  The client was Outlook
> Express 6.0.

It should be enabled by default, but the server uses an internal polling
method by default (--with-idle=poll).  You can increase the frequency of
the polling by lowering the value of the imapidlepoll option from 60
seconds down to 1 second.  If you want instantaneous notifications of
changes without needlessly banging on the server with a small polling
interval, then you should compile Cyrus with support for idled
(--with-idle=idled).

Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127