Is debian's cyrdeliver really lmtp?

Wil Cooley wcooley at nakedape.cc
Tue Jan 6 20:18:31 EST 2004

On Tue, 2004-01-06 at 03:47, Jim Archer wrote:
> Hi All...
>
> When I invoke cyrdeliver (which I believe is just the deliver program
> renamed by the debian package) I see this happen in my cyrus mail.log file:
>
> Jan  6 06:42:32 test2 cyrus/master[7572]: about to exec
> /usr/lib/cyrus/bin/lmtpd
> Jan  6 06:42:32 test2 cyrus/lmptunix[7572]: executed
> Jan  6 06:42:32 test2 cyrus/lmtpd[7572]: accepted connection
> Jan  6 06:42:32 test2 cyrus/lmtpd[7572]: lmtp connection preauth'd as
> postman
>

> I have been told that it is better to use lmtp then deliver because lmtp
> will handle multiple recipients at the same time and also because it
> returns better error messages to Exim4.  But what is the difference between
> deliver invoking lmtp and Exim4 invoking it?  Is it because Exim4 can only
> hand deliver one addressee at a time?

'cyrdeliver' (which is assume to be 'deliver' renamed) is a front-end to
LMTP-delivery; basically, it's a pipeline you can use if your MTA
doesn't support LMTP (or you want to inject messages into Cyrus using
something other than your MTA).

Wil
Wil Cooley                                 wcooley at nakedape.cc
* * * * Linux, UNIX, Networking and Security Solutions * * * *
* Naked Ape Consulting                   http://nakedape.cc  *
* Cisco Support & Sales          http://nakedape.cc/r/cisco  *