Compile problem with kerberos and ssl

Andreas Thienemann andreas at thienemann.net
Wed Jan 7 10:08:14 EST 2004

[resending as the first mail seems to not have made it to the list]

Hi,

the problem I'm experiencing is basically the same as mentioned here
before on June 6th 2003 in the thread named: "RH 9.0 ssl compiler error":

When enabling OpenSSL support and kerberos in the 2.2.2-BETA release the
build fails during compilation pf imap/pop3d.c with the following message:

gcc -c -I. -I.. -I. -I./../lib -I./../sieve  -I./../sieve
-I/usr/include/et -I/usr/include/kerberosIV -I/usr/include -I/usr/include
-I/usr/include -DHAVE_CONFIG_H  -O2 -g -pipe -march=i386 -mcpu=i686 -fPIC \
pop3d.c
In file included from /usr/include/kerberosIV/krb.h:56,
                 from pop3d.c:94:
/usr/include/kerberosIV/des.h:87: error: conflicting types for
`DES_key_schedule'
/usr/include/openssl/des.h:92: error: previous declaration of
`DES_key_schedule'

The proposed fix of including -I/usr/kerberos/include does not work in
this case as on this fedora-release the kerberos4-header files are located
in /usr/include/kerberosIV. Anyhow, that should not really be the problem
as the krb4 files are included by -I/usr/include/kerberosIV.

Reading through the source of pop3d.c I find the following statement,
suggestion that a workaround for this problem is already activated:

#ifdef HAVE_KRB
/* kerberos des is purported to conflict with OpenSSL DES */
#define DES_DEFS

However, this seems not to do any good.

Anyone got some good advice on fixing this?

thanks,
 andreas